Skip to main content

29. O CHILD OF PROMISE COME - Sarria to Portomarin

November 28, 2011 

I slept badly because the dorm was too hot and the snoring too loud. Some extraordinary sounds! They are somewhat blocked out by putting on my earphones and listening to music from my phone. Hallelujah by Michael W Smith always succeeds in both uplifting and soothing my spirit.

It's 5.00 a.m. and I'm downstairs in the reception area where I will disturb no one. The first birds are singing.

Though my foot is in a lot of pain I feel in me the freshness that I had at 17, the excitement of a new community. Also the power of solitude and the importance of loving without a clinging attachment.

Nothing so far has become clear about the question of going to work with Ceili community but the daydreams I have are of Shankill and I suspect that this is where God is leading me.

Back upstairs I quietly drag my belongings out of the dorm and into the shower room. Getting my bag to close is proving difficult and the tall,  young Korean lady says "let me do it. I'm strong." She is. Her name is Yesouk and she is also having foot trouble.

It was 7 when I left the albergue in search of coffee. It was 8 and still dark when I set out on the day's walk in thick fog - feeling very sluggish - through a lot of forest. The first half of the day was tough, requiring many breaks to take off my boots and socks. The weather again was wonderful and most of the other pilgrims I met were new to me - except for Daniela and Andreu and also the Korean singer.

The Camino is an alternative way of life, even for someone like me. In this time and space we do not belong to the norm and there is a really great sense of mutual acceptance and respect. We all care for each other. Here I know I am loved! This life has the innocence of an encounter with a baby - with each of the pilgrims I have no history, no hurt, no baggage. Our relationships are uncluttered and surprisingly intimate, sometimes intense but always free.

Some seem to spend a lot of their lives walking - a few months on the road, then a few months working. Many have left or lost jobs and are looking for direction.

Yesterday I gave my feet to Jesus, even to be crucified and it seems He took me at my word. I can't believe how awful the pain is and I think it must have a purpose.

The number of pilgrims on this last stage of the Camino is steadily increasing. We are down to the last 90k which is quite amazing!

I came upon a Cross today which is completely decorated with articles of clothing - people shedding excess - even underwear which looked odd. I added one of my socks as a way of offering my feet, all our feet wherever we may walk in life.

Entering into Portomarin I had to cross an incredibly high bridge which challenged my fear of heights but it was beautiful. At the albergue Lorna is having a happy reunion with her Korean friends Yesouk and Jin. Their happiness is a delight to behold.


In the evening Mark, Becky and I went out to eat. We seem to get closer as the days go by and we hope now to enter Santiago together. I attended Mass in the local church and lit another candle for Brend. The Advent Liturgy is beautiful - "O Child of Promise come! O come Emmanuel!"

Back at the albergue a group of loudly happy Spaniards arrive, accompanied by a Korean man who doesn't seem to know where to lay himself down. I welcome him as if the place were my own - pointing to the empty bunk above me. We shake hands, tell each others name and make a connection. He is Sanghan Kim

"The Lord said to me, 'you are my son. It is I who have begotten you this day'." (Psalm 2). I lay down to sleep in the most perfect awareness that I am a son of God - with the Benedictus of Karl Jenkins repeating in my ears.


Comments

Popular

Los Arcos

4. Beginning -.November 1, 2011

33. MUXIA & GOING HOME - I Can't Forget

32. SANTIAGO

22. MAZARIFE - The Sound Of The Beloved