Skip to main content

27. O'Cebreiro - Whoever Welcomes A Little Child

November 26, 2011 


The church in Ocebreiro (Photo by Mark Teiwes)

"I will betroth you to myself for ever, betroth you with integrity and justice, with tenderness and love; I will betroth you to myself in faithfulness and you will come to know the Lord." (Hosea 2:21-22)

We had 30k walk today, with about 10k up a steady hill. My foot survived it with the help of Mark's stick and a lot of ibuprofen.  Brend likes happy music and so some Abba songs were sung. What a wonderful day - weather, mountains, colours, animals and arriving here just after dark singing 'Jingle Bells'. We were Mark, Becky, Brend, Kathrin and me. It was during the 10k climb that Brend looked at me with such concern and said "if you are not able to walk, we will carry you!" 

The Franciscan church was open so we went in to hear the sound of 'Bless The Lord My Soul' being played. Mark started to sing it and we all joined in. Beautiful. In front of a side altar where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved there are several bibles open in various languages - Word and Sacrament together. In the English bible my eyes fell on this text  "Jesus took a child, set it in front of them and said 'whoever welcomes a little child welcomes me...'" 


During the walk today I had been meditating on childlike innocence, so it was an appropriate text at the end of the day. Innocence is a child that remains through the development of the ages of life. Innocence is the child. God is the child. I am the child

I had fallen behind the group I was with in Foncebadon and when I arrived in the albergue in O'Cebreiro I heard a female screech of delight calling my name! It was Daniela first and then Lorna who said they were worried about me and wondered was I alright. I was really surprised by the delight I saw in them and touched by their concern. All the Foncebadon group gathered and there was a lot of hugging.


Brend is back sleeping in the bunk above me. Andreu and Daniela have become very close and I think of their laughter echoing in the hills.

In the dining room Lorna is putting a hair extension (I think that's what it's called) in Joan's hair. I tell him he looks like Jesus and he smiles humbly saying that a lot of people say that to him.

Mark is weary and in need of space while the rest of us go out for something to eat. I want to take the weariness from him but I also know I can't, and I know too well the need for space.

The feast of the Presentation of Mary which we had a few days ago is when I usually do the True Devotion To Mary in preparation for Christmas and the renewal of my consecration to God. There are set prayers and readings for this period but since I'm travelling light I put everything in the phrase of Louis De Montfort - "I am all yours my Queen and my Mother in Jesus your Beloved Son."

'Jesus! All for Jesus!' is the song I sing in my heart because He is the object of my devotion and all others through Him.

"He obeyed her because he could trust her, because she had never resisted the Holy Spirit by whom she had conceived him, because she was passionately devoted to the will of God, because she loved the world. That which had been the secret of her strength from the beginning was the secret of the communion between them now." (Caryl Houselander, English Mystic)















Comments

Popular

Los Arcos

4. Beginning -.November 1, 2011

33. MUXIA & GOING HOME - I Can't Forget

32. SANTIAGO

22. MAZARIFE - The Sound Of The Beloved