Skip to main content

22. MAZARIFE - The Sound Of The Beloved

 November 20, 2011 Sunday 

I got up at 6am so I could go to Mass in San Isodoro. The nun preparing breakfast gave me coffee before leaving. Aelfred, Lorna & Miguel were also up. Bilal emerged looking frail. I urged him to eat properly because he's a big guy who needs plenty of nourishment.

Leaving the albergue at the same time were Christine and Walter whom I had met for the first time yesterday. I thought they were a couple but they are mother and son, she being Korean born who moved to San Francisco where Walter was born. I guided them to the way out of the city and then went to Mass which was very beautiful.

It was still dark and raining when I came out from Mass and it was hard to see the yellow arrows of the Camino, so I went for coffee and waited for the light.

Later when I came on Christine & Walter she asked if I'm a priest and when I asked how she knew she said "you have an aura!" Mmmm?

Around midday when I paused for a rest I heard the voices of Mark, Becky & Brend coming from the distance behind, a sound that brought a smile to my face - it was like the sound of the Beloved! They remind me of the three divine visitors who appeared to Abraham in Genesis 18.

And when they caught up we shared some food and walked together for the rest of the afternoon, pausing again for a while under a tree. We talked about our reasons for doing the Camino.

We are now is San Antonio Hostel in Mazarife, a lovely cosy place. Mark & Becky are given a special room for couples. Brend and I are in a dormitory all to ourselves. Walter & Christine are in another dormitory.

It's election day but you'd never guess - there's very little sign of voting going on.

Sergio the owner of this albergue cooked us a wonderful dinner - giving us a choice of three starters, three main courses and three deserts. Lovely conversation, lovely people.

"The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.  Abraham looked up and saw three ... standing nearby. When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground.

He said, 'If I have found favor in your eyes...do not pass your servant by'." (Genesis 18:1-3)



Comments

  1. What a wonderful memory and a great hostel! That dinner was incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular

Los Arcos

4. Beginning -.November 1, 2011

33. MUXIA & GOING HOME - I Can't Forget

32. SANTIAGO