Skip to main content

21. LEON - A New Song That Waits

November 19, 2011

It was a short walk of 13k from Villarente to Leon, Brend and I travelling together. Ramon from Spain walked with us into Leon and showed us the way to the Benedictine Monastery where we were staying. It's Ramon's fourth time doing the Camino. A nice man who doesn't believe in politics and will not vote in tomorrow's general election.

At the albergue we are greeted very warmly by Aelfred who looks really well after three days rest here. The place is run by Benedictine nuns and Miguel informs the sister at reception that I'm a priest. She gives me information about Mass.

There's a great atmosphere here with a lot of young people, including Bilal who also has rested here for three days. It's a beautiful city to take time out in - even if it's raining. But I've no desire yet to take time out. I have my first meeting with Daniela from Switzerland who has a great smile and is very welcoming. You get the feeling that everyone is gathered around her.

Mark and Becky arrive looking very tired and I'm delighted to see them. 

I went to check out the church situation and found the lovely San Isodoro where there is adoration. At 6pm I went to Mass in the Cathedral. It's the vigil of Christ the King. The singing of the congregation is haunting, uplifting.

This feast marks the end of the liturgical year, a time when I like to look back on the spiritual year of my life, though I don't really, can't divide up my life into compartments. I am what I am. What assessment can I make?

I remember very little of the period between last Advent and May. There was a retreat I gave to Ceili Community before Christmas - a real experience of joy and the vibrant movement of the Holy Spirit. My sabbatical began in May, the end of my six years as Provincial, a lot of letting go of hurt, people, experience, failures. There has been the struggle to forgive and I have arrived at a peaceful place in that regard, something I am grateful for.

I use that word "grateful" but it doesn't fully express what I feel before God. There is no word in existence that says what it is that I want to offer to God. There is a word in the Holy Spirit, in the prayer of the Spirit in me - the "new song" that waits to be sung but I don't know it yet.

On the way back to the albergue I dropped into the restaurant where Mark, Becky & Brend were eating. They gave me the gift of a hat which they had bought for me because I lost my other one yesterday. I'm really touched by this gesture, the thoughtfulness of it.

Together we went to vespers in the monastery and then to a nearby bar for a drink. I am old enough to be their father, yet we are totally happy and at ease with each other. I might be much younger. I feel much younger!

We are about 20 sleeping in the dormitory where the incredible snorer of a few night's ago is back! Two bunks away from me! Nobody gets much sleep. Eve sent me a text to say that Annie Smyth is not well so I pray the rosary for her.

Comments

Popular

Los Arcos

4. Beginning -.November 1, 2011

33. MUXIA & GOING HOME - I Can't Forget

32. SANTIAGO

22. MAZARIFE - The Sound Of The Beloved